أعوذبِاللَّـهِ مِنَ الشَّيْطَانِ الرَّجِيمِ
[I Seek refuge in ALLAH from Shaitan - the accursed one]
بِسْمِ اللَّـهِ الرَّحْمَـٰنِ الرَّحِيمِ
[In The Name of ALLAH, The MOST GRACIOUS - THE MOST MERCIFUL]
Ya'qub (Jacob) loses his eyesight
فَلَمَّا اسْتَيْأَسُوا مِنْهُ خَلَصُوا نَجِيًّا ۖ قَالَ كَبِيرُهُمْ أَلَمْ تَعْلَمُوا أَنَّ أَبَاكُمْ قَدْ أَخَذَ عَلَيْكُم مَّوْثِقًا مِّنَ اللَّـهِ وَمِن قَبْلُ مَا فَرَّطتُمْ فِي يُوسُفَ ۖ فَلَنْ أَبْرَحَ الْأَرْضَ حَتَّىٰ يَأْذَنَ لِي أَبِي أَوْ يَحْكُمَ اللَّـهُ لِي ۖوَهُوَ خَيْرُ الْحَاكِمِينَ
Now when they saw no hope of his (yielding), they held a conference in private. The leader among them said: "Know ye not that your father did take an oath from you in Allah's name, and how, before this, ye did fail in your duty with Joseph? Therefore will I not leave this land until my father permits me, or Allah commands me; and He is the best to command.
[12 : 80]
When they failed to convince Yusuf to leave Binyamin, they consulted in private:
"Turn ye back to your father, and say, 'O our father! behold! thy son committed theft! we bear witness only to what we know, and we could not well guard against the unseen!
[12 : 82]
He further told his brothers to tell their father to ask the people of the caravan and the people of Egypt about the incident, to make believe that they were not lying.
قَالَ بَلْ سَوَّلَتْ لَكُمْ أَنفُسُكُمْ أَمْرًا ۖ فَصَبْرٌ جَمِيلٌ ۖ عَسَى اللَّـهُ أَن يَأْتِيَنِي بِهِمْ جَمِيعًا ۚ إِنَّهُ هُوَ الْعَلِيمُ الْحَكِيمُ
Jacob said: "Nay, but ye have yourselves contrived a story (good enough) for you. So patience is most fitting (for me). Maybe Allah will bring them (back) all to me (in the end). For He is indeed full of knowledge and wisdom."
And he turned away from them, and said: "How great is my grief for Joseph!" And his eyes became white with sorrow, and he fell into silent melancholy.
They said: "By Allah! (never) wilt thou cease to remember Joseph until thou reach the last extremity of illness, or until thou die!"
He said: "I only complain of my distraction and anguish to Allah, and I know from Allah that which ye know not...
(and I know from Allah that which you know not.)
"The vision that Yusuf saw is truthful and Allah will certainly make it come true.''
"O my sons! go ye and enquire about Joseph and his brother, and never give up hope of Allah's Soothing Mercy: truly no one despairs of Allah's Soothing Mercy, except those who have no faith."
- The eldest brother could not gather the courage to face his father, because he knew that Yaqub would be shattered to know that Binyamin hasn't returned with them.
- So he preferred to stay behind and asked his brothers to convey the news to their father
- Since they had lied about Yusuf in teh same way (that they didn't bring him back after promising), Ya'qub didn't believe their words.
- He remembered Yusuf again and having lost two more sons he lost his eyesight due to the grief.
- He turned to Allah and invoked Him to return all his sons,
- Ya'qub was sure that Allah will reunite him with Yusuf because he believed in the dream (vision) which Yusuf had before parting.
- The sorrow of Ya'qub had no measure. He had lost Yusuf many years ago. Binyamin and Rubel had not returned now, yet he didn't lose his trust in ALLAH and asked his children to put their trust in Allah - coz ALLAH never breaks a believers trust.